Monday, 8 June 2015

A Love Story

What can you say about a thirty eight year old who died? That she loved beautiful things. Was brilliant. That she loved movies and books. And Beetles . And bugs. 

If I were to die today, this is how I would want my epitaph to read. If you think its cheesy, Iam not going to apologise  because " love means never having to say you're sorry" :). My love for books and the written word shows up in many of my posts but today I am going to talk about my other passion- movies.

My love affair with the talkies started when i was all of 5 and saw Mr Bacchann on the big screen for the very first time. I watched with wide eyed wonder and was completely awestruck as he rescued the damsel in distress, fought the baddies and spouted passionate dialogues that have now made history. That was the moment I fell truly, deeply, madly and irrevocably in love with the man and the movies. Ever since then I have been hooked. Be it Jackie Chan's antics in an action packed film, soppy romantic Meg Ryan movies, classic black & white films or over the top Bollywood cinema, I lap it all up with equal fervor and without judgement. 




Till date when i enter a movie theatre, I have butterflies in my stomach in anticipation of watching a story, any story, unfold on a 70 mm screen. In that brief moment of pin drop silence just before the movie begins and the trailers end, the excitement is almost palpable and my heart skips a beat. While I sit on the edge of my seat, engulfed in darkness, with only a bucketful of caramelised pop corn between me and the big screen, I let myself be swept off my feet and carried away into the magical world of cinema. A world where anything is possible, good triumphs over evil more often than not and the dream makers struggle to maintain a balance between fantasy/fiction and reality/plausibility. Over the 2 hrs of uninterrupted screen time its just me and my relationship with the movie of the moment and the rest of the world ceases to exist. And God help anyone who comes in the way of these moments filled with passion and excitement!



Today, with this post I am celebrating my love for cinema which has endured for more than 3 decades. And honor all the people who entertain us and in the process, enable us to forget our individual realities and escape into this world of infinite possibilities for a few hours.

If you are a dyed in the wool movie buff like me you will definitely wanna check out these bollywood/hollywood inspired decor products. So what you waiting for? Go right ahead and bring home the magic of the movies.


You can buy these products here:
-www.fabfurnish.com
-www.pepperfry.com
-www.indiebazaar.com
-https://www.facebook.com/pages/SODA-by-Sai-Sangeet-Paliwal
The first line of the post has been adapted from Erich Segal's Love story