Thursday, 11 June 2015

Prelude to a weekend


My parents recently demolished our ancestral home in Coorg and built a  more contemporary looking structure with all the modern amenities. It was a practical decision that had to be made in order to accommodate the changing needs of all the members of the family.  With each wall that was torn down to make way for a swankier, more comfortable home, my heart broke into a million little pieces. Much like the rubble that I sifted through for an entire day, looking for pieces that I could keep as a souvenir of the place that has borne witness to many eventful childhood moments.


  
As we dig into this reservoir of memories and collectively redecorate the new home, we also endeavour to recreate the ambiance of the old house, bit by bit, in our individual styles. I am documenting this process so I can share this decorating journey with you on the blog.



The estate is my go to place for rest, relaxation, rejuvenation and recovery. I always find a Zen-like calm here that I have not been able to find anywhere else. This green haven not only provides an oasis of tranquillity for us city folk but it is also a place that fuels my creative energy and has proven to be a treasure trove of inspiration. 



As  I gear up to spend the weekend at the estate, for a much needed break from the urban landscape, I can’t help but feel nostalgic. So I am staring wistfully at these rooms that remind me of the Neela Villa from my childhood.

I see bits and pieces of the old house peeping out of each one of these rooms- the rustic walls and floors, distressed wood furniture, the oversized jars and bottles, the vintage treasures gathering dust in the attic, the cozy lived-in corners, the ferns lining the perimeter of the estate, the abundance of green spaces in every corner of the house and the estate. 


Hope you enjoy these rooms and draw inspiration from them as much as I have enjoyed putting them together and reliving the old days with you. Gotta go now ! The ‘travel bug’ is all packed and impatiently revving up the engine while he waits for me! ;)  Happy weekend folks!