Thursday, 4 June 2015

Artist's Corner: Makoto Kagoshima

If my love for Sushi & Murakami and my shy, enigmatic Japanese neighbours were not enough to pique my interest in the land of the rising sun, Japanese ceramic artist Makoto Kagoshima's work certainly did. Its not very often that one comes across beautiful pieces of art that are not only visually appealing but also have utilitarian value. So when I came across Kagoshima's work I was captivated by his ceramic wonders. Makoto Kagoshima creates crockery, vases and other items painted with decorative designs and patterns. Each of these pieces are handcrafted and one of a kind. He draws his inspiration from everyday life and incorporates lots of animals and flowers in his designs. Besides ceramics, he creates designs for textiles, paper and wall decorations as well.

 







I especially love how Kagoshima marries rugged dark colours with soft pastel hues and the whimsical animal designs are the icing on the cake! If you want to eat off one of these ceramic masterpieces, you can buy them here http://www.makotokagoshima.net. In my opinion, they are way too pretty to be covered with food!