Saturday, 25 April 2015

Thunder and Lightening

While i was still in college, a friend asked me how would I know if I've met "the one". I thought about it for a a minute and replied - I will hear thunder and lightening. It was a phrase from a soppy romantic novel I was reading  at the time. Ever since then, it became a phrase I associated with falling truly,deeply, madly in love. The kind of love that makes your heart skip a beat, sweeps you off your feet and carries you to a magical land full of infinite possibilities. The kind of love that makes you want to run in the opposite direction but turns your feet to stone and then takes you on a roller coaster ride and churns your gut into mush. The kind  that defies logic, sanity and reality. Yes, the very kind that shakes you to the core and leaves you speechless and spellbound! Thunder and lightening for me was synonymous with fear, apprehension, excitement, love and lust all rolled into one.

Today, more than two decades later, thunder and lightening has taken on a whole new meaning for me. So, while I listen to the thunderstorm raging outside my house (Yes we have finally been blessed with the first of the monsoon showers!), I am lusting after these beautifully styled spaces that evoke similar feelings.  Do take a look at these storm-worthy spaces and let me know if you hear thunder and lightening.






Although I don't associate thunder and lightening with relationships of the romantic kind anymore, I still do believe in romance, thunder and lightening of a different kind. I now use the phrase to describe the way I feel when I come across beautiful things that make my heart skip a beat, when I meet people who blow my mind away with their creativity and imagination and when an idea strikes me like lightening and compels me to get my tush off the couch and see it through, my eureka moments. When my love for beautiful things and places urges me to open up to all life has to offer with passion, excitement and acceptance. A love like such, makes me smile at no one in particular when I am sitting in a cafe by myself, walking down the street or gazing out of my car window and that's when I hear it-the thunder and lightening.