Saturday, 28 March 2015

Artists' corner: AJ Fosik

When I first stumbled upon AJ Fosik’s work I was completely enthralled by his skillfully crafted colorful creations. The more I looked at these pieces, the more I wanted to have one for myself. While it might be sometime before I am able to afford them, I am not going to waste anymore time swooning and moping around these masterpieces all by myself. So, ladies and gentlemen, without further ado I would like to present AJ Fosik and his mesmerizing masks……..

         
Fosik’s wall pieces and sculptures are carefully crafted from hundreds of pieces of wood that he cuts and paints individually by hand.  Totems and fetishes, as well as the “random, chaotic and arbitrary nature of existence,” fascinate Fosik.  


I am always captivated and intrigued beyond measure when I come across art that is not only visually appealing but also makes a strong statement without being pretentious. AJ Fosik and his masks did exactly that and left me speechless. While I find my own words to describe this talented artist and his art I will borrow a few words from Lainya Magana of ​​Hi-Fructose Magazine who has so articulately explained AJ Fosik and his work……

”Fosik 's feral creations take the shape of fantastic beings that communicate a subversive,  ​anti-religious commentary through the depiction of hyperbolized fictional gods. Nameless,  ​assigned no specific meanings or powers, beholden to no formal faith (real or contrived) Fosik’s idols are not meant to contribute to some grand theological narrative of the artist’s design. They are masterfully made beautiful objects that examine the nature of spiritual iconography through an absence of religious discourse. In this way, Fosik points to the power and scope of man’s innate creativity devoid of divine inspiration.” 

   
While I recover from the spell these masks have cast on me, you go feast on these beauties for a while and let me know if they leave you spellbound as well.